The Cost of a Broken Window
A broken window can leave your home exposed to the elements and exposed to risk of a break in. Replacing or repairing a broken window as soon as possible will help keep the cold of winter at bay and improve the security of your home. This applies whether is it the glass that is broken, or if it’s the frame or seals that requires repair.
In this post, we’ll go over the average cost of fixing a broken window, how to save money and even how to undertake some DIY repairs yourself.
Finally, we’ll answer a few of your frequently asked questions.
The cost to repair a standard window with no special glass requirement ranges between $250-$400.
How Can I Repair or Fix a Broken Window while Saving Money?
You can fix minor scratches on your window’s glass by yourself. You’ll just need some cerium oxide glass polish and a strong felt or leather buffing pad.
Don’t delay. Make an appointment as soon as you notice an issue with your window frame or glass. Delays can cause the repair to turn into an emergency, adding additional costs.
Lastly, check that the problem isn’t the window lock. Replacing that instead of the frame can save you money.
Sometimes, however, you just need a professional glazier. If so, contact Economy Glass.
Do I need to Repair or Replace my Broken Window?
As we’ve already mentioned, you may take care of minor scratches yourself. However, if the scratch is large, get in touch with an expert because the glass may need to be replaced.
If you feel a draught when the window is closed, it may be because the seal has rotted. It will need to be replaced.
If your window frame has a gap between the glass panes, moisture will get in between the panes and cause misting.
You will need to replace your window if the glass is broken rather than scratched.
Broken Window Bars
If the window bars between each pane are broken, you will need to replace your window.
Window bars keep the glass panes in place. If they are broken, the glass can crack and fall out.
Window Seals or Gasket Failure
If your gasket or seals have failed, there may be an issue with the frame, or the seals may have worn out. Condensation and mould can also weaken the seals.
Rotten Timber Frames
If the timber frame is rotten or the uPVC is discolouring, water will enter via the rotting or warped frame from the outside, and damp issues may result. Additionally, security is compromised because the frame may be easily broken into.
What’s Involved in Repairing or Replace Broken Window?
Generally, window repairs involve:
- Site Survey
How to fit a new pane of glass. given that you have a measured, new piece of glass to fit.
- You must first take out any broken glass from the window frame.
- Put on safety gloves, and beginning at the top, gently knock out any remaining glass with a hammer.
- With a chisel, remove all the old putty, brushing away any dust and dirt.
- Add new putty into the window rebate. Use your thumb and firmly press it in.
- The putty should be around three millimetres in thickness.
- Place the new pane of glass at the bottom of the frame now. Push the glass into the putty after working around the edges.
- Place glazing panel pins flat against the surface of the windowpane at intervals of around 200mm to secure the glass.
- Add more putty, pushing it along the edge of the window rebate. With the use of a putty knife, carefully apply the putty to the desired location.
- To create a flat surface, wet the putty knife and smooth over the putty. Make sure to also smooth the putty in the angles of the frame.
- Leave to cure for about two weeks. You can paint the window frame after this time.
How Can I Locate and Hire a Glazing Company in Western Suburbs?
Start by asking family, friends, and work colleagues. A good referral is invaluable.
Conduct an internet search and choose a glass company near you.
You can also contact Economy Glass for quality glass products, glass repair & replacement services in Melbourne. Economy Glass is an expert glass company with years of experience in glass installation and repairs, serving WERRIBEE and Melbourne’s Western Suburbs.